Finance & Student Services

Visa guidance for students applying from within the UK

This page is for students already in the UK who need to apply or renew their visa. 

You can only apply from within the UK for a Tier 4 visa if you are in possession of certain visa types. Please check the UK Home Office website for information.

UK Immigration rules require all students who do not hold a European Union Passport to have a visa to study in the UK. If you are already in the UK on a Student Visa you will need to apply for a new visa before your current visa expires. Your new application will now come under the Tier 4 Adult / General Student Visa (Points Based System - PBS).

Read information on the Tier 4 visa system

Read information on extending your visa

To qualify for a PBS visa you will need to be sponsored by an institution and show evidence of sufficient funds to pay for your tuition fees and living expenses.

London Contemporary Dance School can sponsor visa applications and issue a 'Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies Number' (CAS). This will depend on whether you are an existing student at the school or whether you are studying here after studying elsewhere in the UK. You will need to submit the CAS number on the online application form and submit relevant original documents when requested.

Please note that you will be required to visit a Biometric Enrolment Centre to have your photograph taken and give your fingerprints (your biometric information). These will be used to create your Identity Card, which is proof of your permission to stay in the United Kingdom and shows any conditions you must meet while you are here. Once you apply online for the visa, you will get a letter telling you how to book an appointment to give your biometrics. You will have 14 days from the date of the letter to submit the biometric information.

Documents required for your Tier 4 Adult Student visa application:

  1. Application form - students already in the UK can either apply online
    Please note that as part of the application process you will need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge, which will give you access to the National Health Service here in the UK. You will pay the charge (currently £150 for each period of 12 months leave granted) when you make your application. This period must include the additional months granted after the end of your programme of study (currently four months for courses longer than one year).
    Undergraduate applicants will need to pay £525
    Postgraduate students will need to pay £300
    You will pay this fee as part of your online via application.
    Further information and how to pay is available on the Home office pages of the website.
  2. Academic qualifications listed in the email with the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) Number from London Contemporary Dance School. You will need to supply original documents and photocopies for all those elements listed. In addition you will need professional translations of documents not in English. 

    This translation must include:

    • the translator's qualifications
    • confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
    • the date and the translator's signature
  3. Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) Number from London Contemporary Dance School. We will send you this by email and you will enter this number in the relevant section of the application form.
  4. Financial requirements - you will need to prove you have enough money to cover the tuition fees AND:
    • £1,265 for each calendar month of the first year of the programme, up to a maximum of nine months.

    If you have financial sponsorship from any government, the British Council, an international organisation, a company or a university:

    • a letter from them confirming that they will cover ALL your fees and living costs is all that you need, to meet the financial requirements. The letter must be dated and show your name; the name and contact details of your official financial sponsor; the length of your sponsorship; and the amount of money you have or a statement that your official financial sponsor will cover all of your fees and living costs. If the letter does not meet these requirements, your visa may be refused.

    If the letter does not confirm that ALL your fees and living costs are covered, see the next section.

    If you do NOT have financial sponsorship from any government, the British Council, an international organisation, a company or a university:

    You must have a minimum amount of cash in a bank or building society account (or an account with an officially regulated financial institution) that has your name on it. It can be a joint account with someone else, but only if your name is on the account too. Please note that the evidence you produce from the bank or building society or financial institution must show that during the 28 days leading up to the date the evidence is generated, your balance has never dropped below the right amount. If it has dropped below the right amount even for just one day, you do not meet the financial requirements and your visa application will be refused

    The only exception is if you have a definite offer of a loan from an officially regulated financial institution (for example, a bank or student loan organisation). In this case, it is acceptable if you do not have the cash yet. Instead, you can provide a letter from the financial institution confirming that the money will be released when your immigration permission is issued. The letter must be dated no more than one month before the date of your immigration application and must show your name; the account number; and the financial institution's name and logo and the money (or funds) available as a loan. If the letter does not meet these requirements, your visa may be refused. If the loan is for less than the amount required (ie tuition fees and £1020 per month of study), then the letter about the loan will not be enough on its own (you can still use the letter, but will have to use one or more of the other methods to show that you have the rest of the money - for example, you can hold the rest of the money as cash in a bank or building society account, provided you comply with all the requirements described in this information sheet for people who hold their money in that way).

    Check here for full details of the guidance notes relating to Tier 4 applications.

    5. Other documentation, see the application form for required documents.

Currently the cost of a visa application by post is £448 or by appointment is £823. Both fees are subject to change.

We recommend that you keep a copy of all documentation submitted for a visa application for your own records.

If you are returning to your home country before applying, please see the information on applying outside the UK.

The information on this page is given in good faith and has been carefully checked. London Contemporary Dance School accepts no legal responsibility for its accuracy. UK Immigration Regulations are revised regularly, so we encourage you to check the UK Home Office website should you have any concerns.