Finance & Student Services

Visa guidance for students applying outside of the UK

This page is for international students requiring a visa for their studies and who will apply from outside of the UK.

UK Immigration rules require all students who do not hold a European Union Passport to have a visa to study in the UK.

Read about study visas

There are two types of visa:

A. Short-term study visa - for students here on the one term Study Abroad or Exchange programme or for less than 6 months. Visa applications are required for nationals of certain countries before arrival in the UK. Check here if you require a visa; if a visa is required the Student Visitor Visa application form can be found here, along with more details and the application procedure (where necessary). Please note that you will not be able to work while on a Student Visitor Visa nor extend your stay.

For certain nationalities you can choose whether to apply for entry clearance in advance of travelling, or to wait until you arrive at the port of entry to the UK, and make your request to enter as a short-term student there. If you do not obtain entry clearance before you travel, you will need to produce all the documents to support your application to enter the UK as a short-term student to the Immigration Officer when you arrive at the port of entry to the UK. This includes evidence of your unconditional offer to study in the UK and evidence of your finances. It is important you ask to be admitted as a short-term student (rather than as a visitor). Make sure that they look at your short-term student visa letter (which confirms your unconditional offer and acceptance on the course) so that the stamp you get in your passport indicates you are here as a short-term student.

B.Tier 4 Adult/General Student Visa - for studies longer than six months, the UK government has introduced a Points Based System (PBS) for student visa applications (now known as Tier 4 visa applications). For general information on the new Tier 4 visa system please check the information for general students page. To qualify for a Tier 4 visa you will need to be sponsored by an institution and show evidence of sufficient funds to pay your tuition fees and cover living expenses.

London Contemporary Dance School can sponsor visa applications and once you have satisfied all the conditions of your offer letter (such as English language and relevant academic qualifications), paid the registration fee and provided proof of funding we will be able to send you a 'Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies Reference Number' (CAS number). You will need to write this CAS number in the appropriate section of the application form and submit this and the relevant forms, documents and financial evidence to the visa office in your country.

Different countries will have slightly different procedures and requirements so please follow the instructions here.

We strongly recommend that you read the guidance notes before applying.

You will need to complete an online application and provide the information listed below: 

  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies Reference Number from London Contemporary Dance School, we will send you this by email
  • Academic qualifications listed in the email with the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies Reference Number from London Contemporary Dance School. You will need to supply original documents and photocopies for all those elements listed. In addition you will need professional translations of documents not in English. Ensure the translator meets the Consulate requirements.
  • Your original passport.
  • Proof of payment of the Immigration Health Surcharge (see below).
  • Financial requirements - you will need to prove you have enough money to cover the tuition fees and:
    £1,265 for each calendar month of the programme (up to a maximum of 9 months, namely £11,385).

​If you have financial sponsorship from any government, the British Council, an international organisation, a company or a university:

  • a letter from them confirming that they will cover ALL your fees and living costs is all that you need, to meet the financial requirements. The letter must be dated and show your name; the name and contact details of your official financial sponsor; the length of your sponsorship; and the amount of money you have or a statement that your official financial sponsor will cover all of your fees and living costs. If the letter does not meet these requirements, your visa may be refused.

If the letter does not confirm that ALL your fees and living costs are covered, see the next section.

If you do NOT have financial sponsorship from any government, the British Council, an international organisation, a company or a university:

  • you must have a minimum amount of cash in a bank or building society account (or an account with an officially regulated financial institution) that has your name on it. It can be a joint account with someone else, but only if your name is on the account too. You can also use money held in an account owned by your parent(s) or legal guardian. You will need to show evidence that you are related to them, and that you have their permission to use this money

If your money is in overseas currency, the UK Home Office will expect you to write the closing balance in pounds sterling on your application form. They will use the official exchange rate on the OANDA website.

Please note that the evidence you produce from the bank or building society or financial institution must show that during the 28 days leading up to the date the evidence is generated, your balance has never dropped below the right amount. If it has dropped below the right amount even for just one day, you do not meet the financial requirements and your visa application will be refused.

The only exception is if you have a definite offer of a loan from an officially regulated financial institution (for example, a bank or student loan organisation). In this case, it is acceptable if you do not have the cash yet. Instead, you can provide a letter from the financial institution confirming that the money will be released when your immigration permission is issued. The letter must be dated no more than one month before the date of your immigration application and must show your name; the account number; and the financial institution's name and logo and the money (or funds) available as a loan. If the letter does not meet these requirements, your visa may be refused.

If the loan is for less than the amount required (ie tuition fees and £1265 per month of study), then the letter regarding the loan will not be enough on its own (you can still use the letter, but will have to use one or more of the other methods to show that you have the rest of the money - for example, you can hold the rest of the money as cash in a bank or building society account, provided you comply with all the requirements described in this information sheet for people who hold their money in that way).

Please note that accounts or financial instruments (such as shares, bonds, overdrafts, credit cards and pension funds) are not acceptable, regardless of the notice period.

  • Other documentation - the online application form will specify if there are any other required documents.

After you have submitted your application and supporting documents, you may be asked to attend a short interview, just to verify information and ensure your application is legitimate. They may ask questions about where you will study and the course, so make sure you have looked at our website and can talk about London Contemporary Dance School and The Place.

Collection of your Visa

Once a visa is approved you will receive a vignette/sticker in your passport. This vignette is only valid for you to enter the UK. You will then need to collect your actual visa (the Biometric Residence Permit or BRP) from a UK Post Office near to the school.  You will apply for a BRP at the same time as you apply for entry clearance and part of the visa application form will ask which post office you have selected to collect your BRP. Please use the following post office:

Kings Cross
17/21 Euston Road
London NW1 2RY

You must then collect your BRP from the Post Office branch you selected as part of your application no later than 10 days after your arrival in the UK.

Immigration Health Surcharge

The immigration health surcharge is a financial contribution to the UK’s National Health Service. You will pay the surcharge if you are a non-EEA national and you are granted immigration permission to enter the UK to study for a time-limited period of more than six months. You will also need to pay it if you are a non-EEA national who is already in the UK and you wish to apply to extend your stay.

You will pay the charge (currently £150 for each period of 12 months leave granted) when you make your application. This period must include the additional months granted after the end of your programme of study (currently four months for courses longer than one year).

For undergraduate applications you will need to pay £525
For postgraduate students you will need to pay £300
You will pay this fee as part on your online visa application.

Further information and how to pay is available on the Home Office pages of the Gov.UK website.

Please note that the earliest you can apply for a Tier 4 student visa is three months before your programme starts. For full details of the guidance notes relating to Tier 4 applications, please check here.

Currently the cost of a visa application from outside the UK will vary according to where you apply. Click here for current fee levels

We recommend that you keep a copy of all documentation submitted for a visa application for your own records.

If you are currently in the UK on a student visa and require an extension/new visa, the application process is slightly different. Read information on applications from within the UK.

The information on this page is given in good faith and has been carefully checked. London Contemporary Dance School accepts no legal responsibility for its accuracy. UK Immigration Regulations are revised regularly, so we encourage you to check the UK Home Office website and speak to the UK Visas and Immigration Service should you have any concerns.